Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Angry-Go-Round

One of my constant prayers lately has been for peace.  I'm so angry and resentful, and I know that has only caused what is going on in my life both from my end and others'.  An angry-go-round.  I'm mad at you, you're mad at me, let's treat each other like dirt to punish one another, which brings more anger.  Is anything going to be resolved?  Not when you hate each other.

Last week or so, one of my sons was very angry at the other one for some trivial act (like maybe he touched him or something, heaven forbid!).  So he hauled off and punched him.  Not an uncommon occurrence in our house although we have tried and tried again to explain why this is just not right.  This time, instead of yelling at him I quoted scripture:

"Never pay back evil with more evil. Do things in such a way that everyone can see you are honorable. Do all that you can to live in peace with everyone." ~ Romans 12: 17-18

Then I said to my son, "Do you think Jesus would have punched his brother since his dad said this in the bible?"  Hmm...that struck a chord.  Then I asked, "How did your punching your brother help in this situation?"  He thought a while and said it didn't.  I said, "It made him more angry, didn't it?  And did it take away your anger."  "No", He said.  So I prayed with him.  And wouldn't you know it, he wasn't angry anymore.

I have a huge issue with anger.  I get angry easily and then I really take it out on people. I hold on to it too.  Like "I'm angry today, so it's going to ruin the rest of my rackin' frackin' week!"  And through this anger, my mouth becomes a weapon that I cannot control and has been known to ruin relationships and situations.  In fact, as I said above, it has put me where I am right now.

"My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires. Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you." ~James 1:19-21

Hold your tongue.  Pray for peace from God.  Ask Him to take away the resentment and to give you the words He wants you to say.  Don't speak from a hateful heart.  Is it going to make you less angry to hurt someone else?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember to speak with love...