Thursday, May 2, 2013

FMF: Friend

Five Minute Friday: One word prompt; Five minutes of uninterrupted, unfiltered writing.  However, I never time myself.  Why censor what is from the heart?

FRIEND

The other day I had made an appointment with one of my friends to get a haircut.  I haven't talked to her with more than just a couple words since the fall so she had no idea what I have been going through lately.  

As many do when they first see you, she said, "How have you been?"  What a loaded question....

Well...this has happened and then that, oh and then the doctor said this, and I have to go do this...  She was absolutely stunned at all the trials and tribulations I have right now.  "When it rains, it pours..."  And for me it monsoons and wipes you out to sea where sharks circle around you and pelicans poop on your head.

I got teary a little bit in explaining what is going on.  I felt heavy and depressed.  When you put it all out there, each and every little thing that is plaguing you at the moment, it looks pretty huge and getting passed it looks impossible.  

"Geez, girl!"  That's what she said.  Really that's the only response you can make after hearing about someone's woes when life is falling apart around them.

But then she finished with my haircut, blow dried my hair (while I almost fell asleep because it felt so good), then I stood up to pay her.  "No," she said.  "You needed this."  I cried.  She hugged me tight and said she loved me and just wanted to see me smile.  

At that moment, it was exactly what I needed.  God took a moment where I was feeling completely overwhelmed and like nothing was possible and gave me a little ray of sunshine.  It wasn't that I didn't have to pay for my haircut.  It was that a friend cared about me enough to want to see me smile.  She wanted to make my day a little brighter because she knew these moments were few and far between right now.  It meant so much to me. 


"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing" -- 1 Thessalonians 5:11

Five Minute Friday

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful story about the uplifting spirit of friendship! What a special friend you have to listen to you, give you the exact response you needed, and then on top of that, to gift you with a haircut. I love the Bible verse you featured, too. Thank you for sharing this story!
    (I also loved the well-written sentence at the end of the third paragraph: "And for me it monsoons and wipes you out to sea where sharks circle around you and pelicans poop on your head." Such creative word pictures!)

    ReplyDelete

Remember to speak with love...