Monday, May 6, 2013

Monkey See, Monkey Do

Last night, I was tucking my kids into bed.  As always they were each calling me back to their room for more attention, so I went between the three rooms with various conversations, stopping to pick books up in the hallway, found a pair of discarded jammie bottoms, and then closed each door.  As I did that, I noticed my daughter had put a new sign up on her door.  It simply reads: "Revelations 3:20"

Since I don't have the bible memorized I had to look it up:
"Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me."
She made me smile.

The last month and a half have been some of the hardest times of my life.  And through it all I am working so hard to walk back to God.  In doing so, I'm reading the bible constantly, praying about everything, and doing what God wants me to do in all things.  I've asked God to guide me and use me.

My kids have seen what I am doing.  Last week, my daughter found a kids' devotional book that I had bought for her at a yard sale two years ago.  Knowing how I read several devotionals a day, she asked if we could read it together each night.  The first night only she and her oldest brother joined.  The next night all four of them wanted to listen and to hear me pray.

She's begun falling asleep with the bible in her hands as she is fervently trying to read and understand God's word.  She's not understanding it yet, but that's not what matters.  What matters is the willingness to want to be God's child and to do what God is telling us to do.

I couldn't be prouder each night when I check on each of the kids when I go to bed.  They are all snuggled up in their beds snoozing away.  And there she is sleeping peacefully with the bible in her hands.  Through all of this hurting I am going through right now, God is using me to work on these precious children of mine.  Thank you, God!

3 comments:

  1. How encouraging it must be to see that your efforts are not in vain! We mamas often forget that our little ones are always watching us. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I have asked God many times to let me know that I am doing the right thing. This was really helpful in affirming that!

      Delete
  2. I am completely emotional after reading several of your posts. I picture the kids sitting with you listening to God's word and reveling in the change they see in you. Take comfort in that! That's the affirmation you seek....perhaps that's your purpose. Be Christ to them...they need it as much as you do. Creating lasting memories mommy. Yah yu.

    ReplyDelete

Remember to speak with love...