Sunday, May 5, 2013

Pray for the Enemy

There are 31,103 verses in the Bible.  I looked it up.  I wanted to know what the chances were that the same verses would show up in the several church sermons and devotionals I listen to and read daily.  1 verse in 31,103....wow...

So what was brought up to me several times between yesterday and today?  1) Shame; and 2) prayer for your enemy.
Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. --2 Timothy 2:15

In you, Lord my God, I put my trust. I trust in you; do not let me be put to shame, nor let my enemies triumph over me. No one who hopes in you will ever be put to shame, but shame will come on those who are treacherous without cause. --Psalm 25:1-3

In you, Lord, I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame; deliver me in your righteousness. --Psalm 31:1
I've been feeling not-good-enough for God lately.  And I've also been feeling like those reading my Facebook posts and/or hearing me speak of the word, devotionals, prayer, etc. are secretly laughing behind my back.  I wrote about the bravery of Paul when he was mocked and persecuted for his new found belief in the Lord the other day.  I assume as a human he felt the shame and guilt about his past too.  I'm sure the devil sat deep within him and threw these feelings up into his heart whenever he was about to speak of the glory of Jesus.  Just like me...

Yesterday, I was feeling rather hurt and angry about someone who I feel doesn't like me right now intentionally being hateful and hurtful.  Of course, I don't know that as truth but I was feeling it.  Actually, there are many people I'm feeling are doing that right now.  Then I start thinking about what they must be thinking about me in my walk back to God.  "Who does she think she is sharing Bible verses on Facebook?  Shame on her.  She's so two-faced."  I don't know if they are really saying this or thinking it, but that brings up so much shame in me.

Last night, I was having hateful thoughts towards these people.  But each time, I caught myself and said, "No, you need to pray for these thoughts to be taken right out of you as they do not portray what is in your heart."

Then this morning, one devotional spoke of Nehemiah rebuilding the wall in Jerusalem and how Sanballat and Tobiah ridiculed him and the Jews for the work they were doing. Nehemiah took what they were saying and did this:
Hear us, our God, for we are despised. Turn their insults back on their own heads. Give them over as plunder in a land of captivity. Do not cover up their guilt or blot out their sins from your sight, for they have thrown insults in the face of the builders. --Nehemiah 4:4-5
He prayed for the persecutors.  He asked God to show them what they are doing.  He didn't yell obscenities back at them. Nope, he said, "God, I will only make things worse if I speak right now, can you please handle this?"

And then this morning in church, the lesson was about this:

[Jesus Said] "You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.  And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well.  If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you." --Matthew 5:38-42

And he goes on to say:
"But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you." --Matthew 5:44
What?  So, Jesus, you are telling me that when someone hurts me, when any of those people make me feel shameful, I should walk away and then get on my knees and pray that you will bless them?

Clearly, God was working on me.  He not only gave these verses to me once, but he made sure I heard them over and over today.  He wanted to make sure that I got it and that I would do it.

I'm telling you, if you don't think God speaks, you are crazy.  There are 31,103 verses in the Bible, and through three devotionals and a church sermon, all of which have no correlation with each other what-so-ever, the same themes were preached upon in the last 24 hours.  He's speaking to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember to speak with love...